Friday, January 30, 2009

Remind Me

Next time I think its a good idea to drop over $100 bucks and be a cool mom and take my kids to the Broadway play "Annie" that was in town, PLEASE, I beg you, PLEASE, do not let me.

My night consisted of popcorn being spilled all over the people in front of us, dirty looks from said people, because my freaking kids would not quit talking and moving from seat to seat, while kicking poor people in the back of their heads, whining, begging for food and drinks (after I had just taken them to Burger King on the way there), bathroom breaks right in the middle of the whole production because they just couldn't wait until intermission (even though I made them go like 3 times before we went, as to avoid this). . . . . . . . and to top it all off, my Precious, PRECIOUS Ava managed to find some ABC gum on the floor of the place and was rather enjoying it. You know, twisting it around her finger, chomp, CHOMP, CHOMPING away until I realized that I had NOT given her any gum. I must be a horrible mother, because I actually had the NERVE to take it away from her.

Oh the fits she can throw . . . . . . . UNBELIEVABLE.

Although I think I kept myself fairly composed, I was actually crying on the inside, thinking of all the foul things she had just exposed her little mouth to, and also, wondering if I was going to make it until the end of the show without having a nervous breakdown. It was close . . . . but I made it, and luckily, my kids are still alive. We made it home, bypassing the ice cream I promised them if they were good.

Naughty Kids = No Ice Cream = Pissed Kids = Crazy Loca Mother.

Next time I mention doing anything like this again, please advise me to go and get my little guy Walter from his secret hiding place, and shoot myself in my own foot, because THAT, my friends would be more enjoyable than the night I just had.

13 comments:

Heidi D said...

Ah, the memories. I don't know why I want to go through all of that crap again.

I'm getting into the moody/crying teen years with the oldest. Lindsay isn't really difficult, she just has no interest or willingness in doing anything Jeff or I say...wait...yup, that's difficult.

Kim said...

I've so been where you were last night. Two years ago I thought it would be fun to treat our little family to Chinese on Valentine's Day. I had visions in my head of us bonding and laughing and me expressing my love for each person in my family over dinner. Well, dinner never happened because VDAy is one of the busiest dinning out nights of the year and our waitress didn't even serve our water until after we'd been there for 45 minutes. We left in a huff and decided that Mcky Ds was the best alternate route, however, turns out neither Jeff nor I had any money on us. So its like 9:00 and the kids are raving hungry lunatics and I'm screaming from the front things that should never be said again. Lesson learned. Stay home. Eat toasted cheese sandwiches. Play board games and roll around on the floor. I've learned to KISS. I'd like to take our family to Disneyland but I'm a little scared. Anyway, sorry for the post in your post. I'm happy to hear that they all got home alive.

Lisa Christine said...

Oh No! And the gum thing kind of wants to make me throw up too....

Hopefully someday you will be able to look back at all of this and laugh. You know "remember when....LOL..." (hopefully)

And just think....you could have gone on a shopping spree to Walmart with that $100.

Sorry...that was probably salt in the wound.

Jennie @ Porch Swing Quilts said...

Just too funny. I'm not laughing at your pain, I'm laughing at being there myself. I'm lucky I just have one girl for now - we can just do one on one stuff.
Please avoid situations with small children where they have to be quiet for hours. Think about what they are like at church during sacrament.
We did the circus - but that was okay. So is the rodeo. I wanted to take Laurel to see "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers" here in Seattle but re-thought it. Maybe some other year when she's a bit more mature.

SuzanSayz said...

Libbie, how do you think we older mothers have gained all the wisdom that we have. It's from making huge mistakes like this and learning from them. So basically, you just plopped down 100.00 for a class in what to never do with three children all under the age of ten. As painful as these classes are, you have to admit that you are now older and wiser from the experience. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if you suddenly sprouted a few gray hairs afterwards.
Plus, as Lisa pointed out, you are going to have ONE HECK of a story to entertain friends and family with for the rest of your life.
So smile, you actually came out ahead!
LOL!

Ranting of a Frustrated Pregnant Woman said...

I'll remind you for sure...you're not so fun to hang out with when your grumpy!

My Three Sons said...

Shoot. Wish it had been fun, but because of your post I am glad I didn't buy tickets (I really wanted to) for my kids! So, thanks for making my day, even though your night was less than perfect.

The gum, sick. Why are kids so gross sometimes?

Dana and ohana said...

We did Playhouse Disney Live yesterday....wasn't waful because they could stand and dance the whole time but we did make a insanley unnescessary amout of trips to the bathroom. Why do they have to do that?

Lydia said...

I have moments like that where I imagine how great it would be to go out to dinner or a movie with my kids, and then it ends up being a disaster. I'm sorry that it was such a nightmare!

The Yancey Family said...

Haha! I am not even brave enough to take both my kids to the grocery store by myself! You are a brave woman!

The ABC gum thing is hilarious, but I assure you that she will be fine! Once, when we were little, Tyson found some ABC gum on the ground in the parking lot at Red Apple and was chewing it, and I could HEAR the gravel in it as he was chewing! I still laugh about that!

Amy said...

Oh, I can feel your pain! I am sorry it was so horrible!

I admire your will to refrain from DP. I cut out and and all soda in college and it made a huge difference for me. Good job! Good luck with your meat goal.

kthom said...

Where was daddy Warbucks when you need him? The sun will come out tomorrow......I could go on and on! And NO ICE CREAM is right on sista!

laura said...

Oh, we've SO been there. It's crazy the calm look I can have on my face when I'm absolutely boiling on the inside. And, in my old age, I have become quite the germaphobe. Thinking of the germs all around me can send me into a panic. That gum story made me sick to my stomach.
Next time, just pick up McDonalds, and go to the park.