Sunday, February 8, 2009

Mediocrity

Mediocre is my middle name.

Okay, its not. But it should be.

Damon always tells me I need a hobby. He's right. The problem is, I am not so good at most things I try. Well, I take that back, there are a few things I am good at . . . . . . for example:

Sleeping: I am an excellent sleeper (even if I do need melatonin sometimes).
Eating: I am a fantastic eater (although trying to lose 20 pounds has made me a little less fantastic).
Working: I've said it before, I'll say it again. I am a hard worker.
Impatience : I totally excel at this. Just ask my kids and my husband.
Waxing Eyebrows: I should start a business. Years of experience.

Unfortunately, none of these things that I am super good at, will work for hobbies. Unless you need your eyebrows waxed, or you want someone yelling at you to hurry up all the time . . . . just come on over.

I have dabbled in hobbies over the years. Here's a few I have tried:

Piano = Mediocre
Singing = Mediocre
Sewing = Mediocre
Scrapbooking = Mediocre
Card Making = Mediocre
Running = Mediocre
Writing = Mediocre
Cooking = Mediocre
Refinishing Furniture = Mediocre

Anyway . . .. you get the picture? I used to get all distraught, thinking that I was such a failure because I honestly could not find one thing that I am REALLY good at. I would rack my brain trying to think of something new to try that I might not only LOVE, but really excel at.

NO LUCK.

I have come to terms, and I have realized that it's okay. . . . because after all, what's so wrong with being AVERAGE??? I guess I am just an ordinary girl. So what. No sense in stressing my self out about it. I like me the way I am . . . . . .FINALLY!

Soooooooooo . . . . . . this week I decided to try something new. Why not? What have I got to lose? I thought it would be fun, relaxing, and that I MIGHT actually be good at it someday. Maybe. And if I'm not, well . . . . . I'll just add it to my list of things I am "so so" at!

KNITTING.

My friend taught me how to knit on Thursday night. I am IN LOVE!! So what if I can only do the simple knit stitch . .. . apparently I am not so good at "pearling" . . . . YET, but I'll get there.

My first five rows . . . . . . . . . don't laugh at my imperfection!


And guess what? I have already started something else.
IT.IS. ADORABLE.
Sorry. Can't show you. Its a gift for someone who reads my blog. And speaking of gifts . . . . I can guarantee everyone is getting a scarf knitted by yours truly this Christmas!

Here's to being Mediocre . . . and loving it!

19 comments:

Tara said...

I know something that you are GOOD at and that is a hobby. You are sooo good at being a good friend. Not everybody has this talent.

And hey, good luck with the knitting.

SuzanSayz said...

Good for you Libbie! When i was a kid, they always taught us how to knit and crochet in Primary. Just the girls. I loved doing both. I can still do very simple crochet, but I have completely lost the ability to knit. I do though remember how relaxing it could be.
One more thing, don't discount the fact that you're a hard worker. There are less of those than you would think.
Hard workers are the foundation of society. See? I bet you didn't realize just how indespensible you were.

Shauna said...

The only thing I have to say is that you are so stinkin cute.. . and well. . .a pretty dang good writer.. .and.. .You're NOT Mediocre!!!

The Stars at Night...Deep in the Heart of Texas said...

I feel the same! So many people are SO good at something, where o where is MY talent! Maybe I'll try knitting too, and I'm so glad about your results, hopefully it's just a pinched nerve or something.

The Yancey Family said...

I agree with Tara, the first thing I thought when I was reading the beginning was that you are an excellent friend. You keep friends forever and they all love you! I am mediocre at most things, including being a friend! I am a good nurse though, I will give myself that!

I love you just the way you are too! And I am proud of you for taking up a new hobby, especially something domestic!! Yeah!!!

Amberly said...

You are also good at entertaining me with your clever writing. I just caught up on you. So here are my comments for all of you posts. :)

1-good job not cutting off your hair.
2-good luck with the making money from home thing.
3-so glad I didn't read the numbness post until after the no problems mri post was written.
4-you are crazy brave for taking your girls to see Annie, sorry it was crappy.
5-I've never had diet pepsi, I know it makes me weird but after reading your post maybe I am wise?
6-I have had a hankering to learn to knit for the last few years.

It was good to catch up on you today. Love the picture of you on this post.

Lisa Christine said...

First of all, I LOVE that picture of you. Your eyelashes are amazing!

Second, aren't most people mediocre? The more I think about it, the more I realize that there are only a few people in the world who are the best of the best at certain things....Michael Phelps = swimming, Joshua Bell = violin, and so on and so forth. I actually wrote a post on that once. With the exception of the 'few' and by few I really do mean few, we are all just mediocre. But that's OK. I think that more important than being the best at something, it is important to love something and enjoy it.

Third: I am excited about your new hobby! I know that people who get into knitting LOVE IT! I can't wait to see what creations you come up with. And with that in mind, perhaps that's how you can come up with that extra income that you have wanted to earn. You could knit things and sell them on Etsy.com! You could make a killing, I'm sure :) And if you do it, I'll be your first customer.

Bryn and Blaine said...

I agree with Amberly. The first thing I thought was you are not mediocre at writing. Maybe you should write a book. Start small and go big. I know lots of people would love and laugh at all your life's experiences. You make all of us laugh so often because not only because we understand but because of how you present it. Sense of humor is not mediocre. See you Thursday.

Mary Perkins said...

I would love to know how to knit - that would be a great hobby. I know how to crochet but I am not super at it either. Once you get this whole knitting thing down maybe you can give me a lesson or two :).

Missy said...

You are far better then me at knitting. I tried it and was horrible at it.

I'm glad you found something you like to do for a hobby.

Dana and ohana said...

I totally embrace being the "avgerage girl." I figure I am so less intimidating that way. Okay, that is what I am telling myself. Love you post.

Heidi D said...

I wish I knew how to knit. I would like to see an attractive afghan. I don't know if it's a rule that they all need to be ugly, or if the people that make them choose ugly yarn.

Unknown said...

I often worry about being mediocre. But you know what, I found a stamp that says "Only Talented people worry about mediocrity." So there ya go, you must be talented! How could you not?

Jennie @ Porch Swing Quilts said...

Eyebrow waxing eh? I might have to take you up on that one!
Good luck with the knitting. It's fun. And hey, embracing mediocrity is the first step. I need to do it someday. Which is why I don't do baking things at church - I'd like to keep the mystery alive for a little longer. My worst fear is that someone will eat something I've made and declare it the worst they've ever had. That would destroy me!

kthom said...

HI-larious! Man, you wanna come over to the west side...I want a good brow wax...and that my friend, takes talent!

Lydia said...

I just read Tara's comment, and I thought the same exact thing. You are extraordinary in being the most supportive, honest, and fun friend, who would do anything and everything for someone you care about.

I'm jealous that you've picked up knitting. It's honestly something that I've always wanted to learn, which sounds crazy considering I don't have a crafty bone in my body. Can't wait to see the adorable results!

The Donald said...

My favorite part of this blog is that because you wrote about waxing eyebrows, the ad on your page is for eyebrow restoration.

Hilarious!

I must say, that if you could get paid for sleeping, I would be one of the top Pros in the game!

Oh yes, and the knitting looks good!

Arbon Family said...

I just have to tell you- I have these feelings too all the time! BEING MEDIOCRE but having said that, I have to say You are not mediocre at writing and making people laugh!!!You have the FUNNIEST sense of Humor ever! I wish I could write like you and make people laugh! You say everything as it is and I love that, I wish I could be more like that!!! I do not write that much on my Blog cuz I am horrible at it!!! SO I just thought I would share that about you!

Kristen said...

Libbie, I had to stop by and check out who this good sense of humor person is that Lisa blogged about that left many surprise pictures on her camera.

You might feel mediocre in many things but I would say you excel in blogging. The way you write is very fun and interesting to read.

Oh and by the way, I love knitting too!! Not long ago I learned to crochet as well. I have a blog on those hobbies of mine, but I don't do a very good job keeping it updated, but that link is:

http://kristenshobbies.blogspot.com/

I wish you the absolute best in perfecting your knitting skills. I hope it remains fun for you!