Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Delicious

There are so many great things in this world. Of all the great things, there is one thing that I happen to love so much, I think it actually hurts. What is this beloved thing?

Yes, Diet Pepsi. To me, there is nothing better than a fountain Diet Pepsi. Just like they say. . . . Light, Crisp, Refreshing. And I say . . . YUMMY!

I was never a big soda drinker until I started working nights. This is when my love affair with DP began. I depended on the caffeine to keep me going. I would get myself one almost every night. The problem with this bad habit, is that Diet Pepsi is not good for my body. No soda is.

So guess what? I don't drink it anymore. I have been sober for 11 months. Although it is VERY tempting at times, I WILL NOT cave. Why would I want to go and get myself addicted again after such success?

To some this may seem like a small feat, but to me, it is a big deal. I am trying to practice some self control in my life. I plan on choosing one thing at a time, and mastering it. Then I will move along to another. So the next thing I want to do is eat less meat. No, I am not going to become a vegetarian, but I do believe that eating meat sparingly is much healthier for our bodies. This will be much harder for me than quitting the DP. So I'll get back to you in 11 months and let you know how it's going!

16 comments:

SuzanSayz said...

Good for you Libbie! That is no small accomplishment to kick the caffinated soda addiction. That stuff really isn't good for anyone. i'm pretty lucky because I've never been much of a soda drinker. i can usually take it or leave it. Your body is certainly going to thamk you for this!

MSB said...

It was WAY easier for me to give up meat than it would ever be for me to stop drinking coffee.
I love my coffee... for various reasons, I know I am addicted... but I also love wrapping my hands around the warm mug in the morning.
But, I have not had any meat since 1997... I do eat chicken and seafood... but, no beef or pork at all.

Lydia said...

Wow, good job! I'm trying like crazy not to eat as much sugar, and it's A LOT harder than I thought it would be. Jeff and I are also trying to cut back on the meat, and I think it would be a lot easier if I had recipes that actually tasted good and didn't leave me starving afterwards. You'll have to share some good recipes with me!

Unknown said...

It's so hard to give up soda! I tried many times... I finally was able to do it by using Diet Kola Capsules and soda water. See http://www.dietkola.com for more info. Now I don't have all that aspartame or caramel in my body!

Lisa Christine said...

Way to go Libbie!
I have always been lucky in that I don't really care for soda and therefore am never tempted by it.
Meat however....yum. I want to follow your lead and cut back on my meat intake too.

Mary Perkins said...

Diet Pepsi is definately a downfall for me to Libbie. I have faithfully given it up everytime I get pregnant but a few months after deliver - the urge for caffeine (and the taste) are too great for my will power. Good for you!!

My Three Sons said...

Yum Yum...I, too, have given it up (for now) Haven't had any since Christmas, which isn't nearly as long as you!!

Lesley said...

Way to go Libbie! My thing are treats! I need to stop or exercise a little self-discipline in this area! I am amazed that you can just say I am not going to do it and actually DO IT!!! HOW?!!! And for years? months?!! WOW!!! Good job! Let me know your tips!

The Stars at Night...Deep in the Heart of Texas said...

Good job, I too am trying to exercise restraint with smores. I heart them. BTW, I was thinking about some scheme for you to make your millions and I go nothin. Sorry.

elements: overexposed said...

Good for you! Also, I hope the MRI went well. Oh and another thing, good for you for being with your girls. Good luck on finding a great job from home. I'm sure something you love will come your way!

ArizonaLewis said...

boooooooooooooooooooooooo. what are we is not with our vices?
diet coke is not good for you. however, when you add strawberries and lemon to it at the sonic drive through while your babies are asleep in their carseats, it's god juice.
congrats on showing restraint.
blog hi-5.

ArizonaLewis said...

correction:
what are we IF not with our vices?

Missy said...

That is great the you were able to quit!
I have to say YUCK to Diet Pepsi though. I'm a Coca-cola girl.

elements: overexposed said...

I just thought of something you could do from home. You are very talented in the music dept. How about teaching piano lessons?

libbie said...

elements:

talented, i wish. mediocre, Yes. but thanks for the complement! BTW . . i hope your niece is okay. i have never even heard of that thing she has. many prayers going her way from K-town!

Reil family said...

I don’t have to have pop, so when I drink it once in a while I don’t feel guilty about it. I do like it, but I know it is not good for me. In Bulgaria we eat lots of meatless dishes and they are delicious too, so I should make some to see if you like them.