Sunday, January 4, 2009

I Guess I'll Do It

I have been avoiding doing this Christmas/New Year post. Probably because to me it is still Christmas Break and I have been partying too hard. We have had so much fun with friends and family just hanging out and playing games, but the time has come. Here it goes . . . . .

My kids are spoiled enough as it is. They pretty much get whatever they want all year round because Damon and I are the biggest suckers. So naturally for Christmas we promise eachother we will try to make it more simple and stick to the real meaning of Christmas, but of course this year, I pretty much over did it once again.


Don't get me wrong, our Christmas was good, but I think I really mean it when I say next year will be much more simple. Here's why:

1. Edyn got everything she asked for. A guitar, snow globe, clothes, games, books, barbie scooter . .. etc. On Christmas she told us many times that "This is the best day of my life!" A few days later we overheard her and her friend talking about what they got for Christmas, and she said, "I don't even remember what I got." Hmmmmmm . . . . . .

2. Ava, also happy as a clam, for 15 minutes and then she was more interested in stealing Lila's binkis and sneaking up to the bonus room to watch tv.

3. Lila. . . . . don't know why I even bothered. She prefers piles of garbage to toys. I have proof.

Anyway, It was a good day, but like I said . . . . next year, A LOT different. I plan on doing more service and spending more TIME than MONEY.

Of all the gifts I received, my very favorite thing about this year was this.


Nana ( WE LOVE YOU!) snuck our plain little table and spent countless hours hand painting it into a beautiful work of art. It is so hard for me to express how much I appreciate this kind gesture. I was basically speechless. She spent so much TIME on this amazing gift. I LOVE it. My kids LOVE it. They feel like little princesses when they sit at it. This was better than any store bought gift we have ever received. Priceless.

My next favorite thing was this picture Damon did for me. You wouldn't understand unless you saw the original how much TIME he put into it. It was horrendous. He worked his magic in photoshop, switching heads cleaning things up (like my fat face), making me look somewhat presentable (30 pounds lighter) and printing it VERY LARGE for my viewing pleasure. Of course now all we have to do is photoshop him in one of these days so we can have a real family picture for once. (That doesn't mean I will be doing Christmas cards next year . . . . just because I still don't want to)!

New Years was fun. We spent some time with friends, came home early (sorry guys, I know we are lame) and put the kids to bed and then of course played a couple of rounds of Ticket to Ride. Then I spent the wee hours of New Years Day spooning with my sister and watching arguably the funniest show ever . . . . Arrested Development. Oh WOW. That is some good stuff! (Thanks for the rental El Donaldo).

On a side note. . . . I have been wondering what I can do for some decorations in my room. I am basically stumped and have been asking around for some opinions. No worries though. Damon took care of that for me. Doesn't he have good taste?


This is what I walked into the other night. I let him keep it up, because after all, the Dolphins did make it to the playoffs, but it might be coming down tonight after the game they played today. Stinkin Dolphins. Blew it.

Also, I started a new tradition. New Years Day from now on in our house is Kids Day. They get to do whatever they want. Shoots and Ladders, pedicures and manicures, hide and seek and dancing were on my shift. Damon's shift was the movies. Unfortunately it all came to a screeching halt when Ava got explosive diarrhea during said movie. So glad that was Damon's shift :).

We have had a great break, but I am so ready to be back on track. My kids need school. I need them out of my face cause its about to get ugly up in here. Love those little turkeys, but we are just plain ready for this break to be over.

While we are on the subject of New Years, I will announce to the world (or the 5 people who read this blog) my one and only resolution. I used to make all sorts of resolutions that I knew I really wouldn't keep for more than two or three weeks. Not any more. I am going COMPLETELY REALISTIC this year. Here it is. . . . . AVOID WALMART. This might seem kind of silly to some, seeing as how we are neighbors and all, but the amount of time and money I spend at that place is just astronomical. I drop so much cash there that its just better for all of us if I stay away.

From now on, I will be doing my grocery shopping at Yokes (for my produce), and Winco (for everything else). In doing this, I WILL NOT be able to purchase anything BUT groceries and I will go ahead and make an estimated guess that I will be saving myself THOUSANDS of dollars, which will help us to pay off even more debt than we did in 2008, WHICH will get me one step closer to my goal of being filthy rich . . . . (hey, i can dream can't I)? BTW. .. . if you do happen to see me at WalMart . . . . . . it is for White Cloud diapers. Can't beat that price.

Another side note . . . . . . .I guess Edyn is basically partied out, because I found this on our front door a few days ago. Apparently we are now closed. She is so right . . . . in a way.


I wish you all a Happy 2009. I plan on having a great one.

18 comments:

Erika said...

I love this post! I am so morally opposed to Walmart that I won't step one foot in there...so good for you!

Arrested Development is hilarious, we were so sad when it was canceled, probably too witty for most of America.

You are a great mom and I am proud of you for spoiling your girls for Christmas, they deserve it! Nana's table is "gorg" she is really talented.

Tell Damon I love the decor. He really has such an artistic eye!

Unknown said...

well, I can't take all the credit for the beautiful decor. Josh played a huge part in that and I'm glad I finally got to put my gift to good use!

Lisa Christine said...

I have to admit....you had me curious the other night about what THE resolution would be.

Stay away from Walmart....a good one. But I could never do it, you know, because I need my french bread...

Thanks again for having us over. You inspire me.

Heidi D said...

Good post. I have no choice but to stay away from Walmart. Just about all of them in Spokane are temporarily closed for snow removal. The roofs are about to collapse from snow. The only one that is open is 35 min away in the freakin Valley. I am not happy.

Mary Perkins said...

It looks like you guys had a great Christmas/New Years. I love the family photo too. Happy belated Holidays!!

SuzanSayz said...

This was a great post Libbie. I tried for years and years to under do myself each Christmas. Then a few years ago, Jean Bowman gave a talk in Sac Meeting. She told of a study where children were asked two months (I think it was two)later, what they had gotten for Christmas. Very few of them could even name two or more presents. Then they were asked the same thing in early December, NONE of them could give a single answer. That kind of did it for me.
The painted table BTW was absolutely gorgeous. What a sweet and meaningful gift.
Your little girls are just so cute, and I think my favorite picture of all was Lila and her garbage.
And Libbie, you stop being so hard on yourself. You are Beautiful! How can anyone feel bad about herself when she can wear sexy boots like those?

The Dean Family said...

looks like you guys had a great christmas!! i LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that table! i CANNOT believe that someone actually hand painted that...it's so adorable it must've taken so long to do all that work...your girls must love it!! and i like your bedroom (smile!) gotta love the guys don't ya:)

Amy said...

I love that table! What an extraordinary gift! It looks like a Mary Englebright table.

We went home early on New year's too, but we actually went to bed at 10:30- just like old people!

I love your family picture with your girls - Damon did a great job!

I hear you on the Walmart thing- I have had to exercise huge amounts of self control lately.

Happy New year!

Wagars said...

Hate to be the cynic but you can't stay out of Walmart for too long. Bryce tells me how often he sees you at Walmart. However, I love the semi-family photo! Thanks again - you know why :) Peace!

The Yancey Family said...

We are lucky because our Walmart is much farther away than yours. We don't go very often, but when we do we have a huge list and spend tons of money. I hate it! Our only other choice is Shopko though, and we are currently boycotting it due to their horrible customer service policies.

I love that table so much! Nana is so gifted! Aren't we lucky to have her?!

The Stars at Night...Deep in the Heart of Texas said...

First I love the boots. Second, I just thought of a genius idea. Somehow get the ability to photoshop women in person. That way when I'm at the store and looking feo, I Really would look swell. Yes, world domination is my next stop.

P.S. I'm as totally thrilled as you that the chitlens are back where they belong. (with anyone but me.) :)

Lesley said...

Glad you had a nice Christmas. A. I love those boots! B. That table is so cute!!! It looks like a Mary Englebrite!!! Very cute! C. Love the mom and girls picture! Very cute! D. Love Edyn's sign on the door! Cracked me right up! She's so funny! Happy New Year and good luck with NO Walmart!

Lydia said...

Libbie, you are always such a breath of fresh air. Anytime I need to talk to someone real, I need to come to your blog.

Good luck with you New Year's resolution. I should make that similar goal. i always feel like I'm going to save so much money by shopping at Walmart, but it doesn't happen because I buy little things here and there that add up.

It looks like you guys had a wonderful Christmas. Love the black boots! The children's table is absolutely beautiful, too! Your family picture is beautiful as well. I saw it on facebook, and I was so impressed and jealous that your kids had these adorable smiling faces all in the same picture. Damon is one talented man. I wouldn't have ever guessed that it was photoshopped. Of course, you look gorgeous as well, my lady.

My Three Sons said...

I am still laughing about the dolphin on your wall! He and Vern are so much alike....except Vern's obsessed with the Cubs!

And I love the side by side of Lila...what is it about the garbage that kids love?

Bryn and Blaine said...

I love the table.
I love all the good stuff everyone got.
I agree about staying away from Walmart to save money.
I love the closed sign. I wonder what was going through her head.

Amberly said...

Good luck on avoiding Wal-Mart. I try my darndest sometimes and then I fall off the wagon and it is hard to get back on. Everything is so cheap there. Then I think about how Wal-Mart is taking over the world and I feel guilty. Ugh. Why can't we have out cheap prices and a pretty mainstreet?

My Many Coloured Days said...

Your boots are amazing! Super sexy - as you always are!

I'm with you on the Christmas underdone. We do three gifts (gold, frankincense and myrhh)... but they always seem to get spoiled by grandparents anyways! Plus, the last two year Mr. Man decided to get involved in shopping (where did THAT come from) and on Christmas Eve it's the battle of "what do we save for their birthdays". It's a worthy goal though.

The Donald said...

That table is cool, and I really like what Damon did with the bedroom. I mean, so what if the 'fins were destroyed in the playoffs? Last year they were lucky to WIN ONE GAME!!! I am glad Damon was able to enjoy one of the biggest turnarounds ever in sports.

I am glad that you did A.D. It is a great show, and Lisa and I are always glad when we find fellow fans.

And sorry I have been a lazy commenting bum. My IT dept at work is blocking blogger now, so I don't have as much time to read the blogs!