Sunday, June 14, 2009

Funk

Have you ever had one of those days when . . . . . . .

*you wake up pissed for no apparent reason
*the thought of getting three kids ready in thirty minutes (you are so tired you can barely roll yourself out of bed), including breakfast, teeth brushed, hair combed and in the car seems more difficult than running a marathon.
*if you have to listen to one more second of crying and whining, you might curl up in the fetal position and throw a giant fit of your own
*if you trip over one more pair of shoes that someone so kindly left in the middle of the floor of the kitchen, you might just throw them out the window
*you can't remember the last time you took a pee by yourself
*just when you think you could not be anymore impatient . . . you dig down real deep and . . . . HELLO to some more impatience
*your house is filthy, yet you refuse to clean it one more time
*the thought of going to work and finishing up the ONE LAST THING you have to do before you officially quit makes you want to vomit
*If anyone crosses you, they run the risk of getting a karate chop to the face
*the mere thought of your husband breathing could send you over the edge
*you can't sit down, because if you do, you might fall asleep
*you keep eating your brains out, because for some deranged reason you want to re-lose that 8 pounds you lost
*you want to pull your hair out and scream because apparently no one is listening to a word you say

I have.

Actually, the last two months have been like this. I have been in a crazy FUNK.

I realize this post may sound a bit psychotic, but you should know by now that I'm not one to sugar coat things. Apparently one of my endearing qualities is that I am painfully honest . . . . (so I've been told). I suppose I say it how it is. That's how I roll.

I wish I had a good reason why I have been in said funk . . . . like say. . . . . pregnancy (actually, I DO NOT wish I were pregnant, but then at least I would have a good excuse as to why I have been so crazy). But I don't.

Well . . . . . I guess I do, but its just taken me a long time to figure it out.

Too much on my plate.

I just can't do everything.

I have got to relax. My kids don't need to be in every extracurricular activity. Who cares if we have peanut butter and jelly for dinner. Doesn't matter if I have a muffin top. Showering everyday went out the window a LONG time ago. Its okay to eat fast food every once in a while. Some people are stupid, and I can't do anything to change that. Quit turning on the news . . . It only gets me more irritated. Having a clean house all the time is very unrealistic. Big deal if my kids hair isn't brushed. The sound of my own complaining is just as about as annoying as my kids whining. The world does not revolve around me. Serving others really does make me happy. Who cares if I rent for another 4 years. Life is no fun when you are stressed out all the time. I don't want my kids to resent me when they grow up. Its okay to ask for help.

Now excuse me while I go pull my head out, quit feeling sorry for myself, find a better attitude, and tame my inner beast.


27 comments:

StaceyOstler said...

You described my last few days to a tee. I have been taking my funkiness out on everyone (especially Dan) lately.

I've decided that tomorrow I'm starting a new. We will begin with a major cleaning party at my house, I've already informed the kids to be prepared because I'm talking about some serious cleaning.

What a better way to start fresh than with a good douching of the house.

After that I'm hoping the kids will be so sick of cleaning that they will be begging to go outside to play in some water for the rest of the day. Never once fighting or quarrelling. Ahhhh.

A girl can dream. Right? :)

The Yancey Family said...

Haha!

1. Stacy, you should probably wait until the evening to douche your house, then it could officially be a "Summer's Eve. Douching"!

2. Libbie, I especially loved the one about never peeing by yourself. I am so with you on that one! Is it really too much to ask?

Anyhoo, I fully support your commitment to change the attitude, not that I think you've been a witch or anything, but it IS okay to ask for help, and who better than yours truly!

MSB said...

I was confused for a minute... I thought I had gone to my own blog and had obviously written all that in my sleep deprived state!

I'll go find an attitude adjustment if you will!

The Stars at Night...Deep in the Heart of Texas said...

YES! I totally have had...days, weeks, and even months where I'm a bear to be around and there is NO pleasing me!

Don't feel too bad about it either. I'm always having to tell myself to let go, to not worry about everything being perfect (that is my sickness. seriously.) It's EXACTLY how you put it...just when I think I cannot be more impatient, I am. Remember my "Hulk post?" I swear sometimes I can loose my cool in like 2 seconds.

I don't have any great advice except that for me I do better if I just give into it and do something for myself (and let all my "responsabilites" go for a while) almost a daily occurance is where I lock myself away from the children and read without intteruption. But everyone has their thing that helps them chill. Good luck finding yours and the time to do it! Love ya.

Lisa Christine said...

Libbie, you are one of my favorite people in the WHOLE world. I love how you say it how it is. This post, so true, from beginning to end. (I know because I related to everything you wrote!) I love your list of ways to let go, relax, and make things a little simpler. That's one of my goals for the summer....I am TIRED of go, go, go.

Let's meet up at the park one of these days. :)

Kim said...

Libbie,
Love ya.
Know exactly how you feel.
Simplifying my life has made a huge difference for me. But then, I feel guilty that we're not going enough.
Being a mom is tough. My selfishness is usually the key to my grumpiness.

Kristen said...

Personally I believe that the world revolves around you.

Brooke said...

I SO appreciate the fact that you don't sugar coat things... my husband would say I've been in a FUNK since I was pregnant with our first child- 4 years ago, yet most people around me would think everything is just peachy!!

I can sympathize with the too much on your plate thing, I often think that something has got to give one of these days and it's probably going to be my SANITY! I know it sound totally cliche', but the marathon training has improved my mood and disposition immensely. It's "me" time that actually improves me mentally, physically, and emotionally. I love to pound out my aggression on the pavement. I AM looking for someone to "share" in the marathon training agony with... :)

Heidi D said...

I admire you. I want you to know, you are NOT alone. Everything you listed I have felt or done myself. I don't know if that makes you feel better or worse, but there you go. :)

SuzanSayz said...

Libbie, I not only appreciate how brutally honest you are, but I also am in awe of how wise you are at your young age.
You are a delight!

Lisa said...

Yes, Yes, and YES! Thank you for saying what so many of us feel. Perhaps I will bookmark this post and read it when I Need a reminder. (everyday!?) =)

Alexandra said...

It was a little hard at they end;)

Jennie @ Porch Swing Quilts said...

All true - you are so in tune with what most of us are thinking and you actually put it into words!

Amen to the PB and J for dinner - embrace it!

Brooke said...

To answer your question... I'm hoping to do the Portland Marathon on October 4th.

Mary Perkins said...

As I read through the beginning of this post I thought - wait a minute how is Libbie reading my mind. :) Boy oh boy have I been there and I only have two boys.

beachwoman360 said...

Oh, Miss Libbie, you have just written about much of my life! I think you are awesome, and after reading about all you have on your plate, I am even MORE appreciative of the time you took to come to Seattle for myt Special Day.

BTW, when your kids grow up and you think you can finally pee alone, be aware that puppies love to keep you company in the restroom and they figure out very quickly that you can't get up and chase them when they snag the TP roll and run. Of course, this never happened to me...........

kthom said...

Just smiling and sympathizing. And just so you feel better, boys don't mind the whole "mom privacy" issue as well. Your garden and porch flowers look fantastic...nicely done lady!

Jessica said...

YES! Normally I feel exactly as you have described, but having my husband gone for the better part of 2 months is completely driving me over the edge!! A couple days ago I was bailing out our swimming pool with a small bucket (because it's a RETARDED POS & you can't dump it out!) when I got lobbed in the side of the head by a ball--oops sorry mom! That did it! I threw the pail at him & almost hit our little neighbor kid with it--yea, I was never a pitcher. Lucky for him!

Nancie said...

youre so funny lib.
gotta love ya. hang in there.

Amy said...

Libbie I love your last two posts and I love your honesty! I also can't remember the last time I peed by myself. In fact I actually locked the dorr today and listened to the angry knocks while I took care of business in relative peace.

I also think that my new mantra will be: It is okay if I have a muffin top. I also think that tan fat looks better than white fat so I frequently use lots of self tanning lotion. For some reason brown skin makes me feel happy.

I hope your funk leaves you soon!

JoAnna Anderson said...

Amen sista! I'm there 100% & even thought about blogging it, but the fear of actually putting it in words would make my craziness official! John tells me to just chill...but I'm not "that kind of person." If you have any tips, please send them my way. Meanwhile I'll be working on trying to enjoy my kids again!

Reil family said...

Is that what I need to look forward to? I pride myself as being a normal and sane person and I don’t want to turn crazy!!! I will welcome any advice from you.

laura said...

Ohh, Libbie. You are so refreshing.

Let the house go. That is my new mantra. I figure it will be clean eventually- in about 18 years. It's livable, but never deep cleaned all at once. And it's taken me almost a year to be okay with that.

Oh, and I LOVE muffin tops. It really keeps people guessing. Is she prego/ Is she not??? Who really knows.

Missy said...

There have been many times that I have felt this way.
I too am the type to put too much on my plate and try to do it all. It never works. So I trim back for a little while, but I always find myself piling more stuff on.
I don't know if it is because we are moms or because we are women, but it just seems to be the natural tendency.
I feel ya!

The Donald said...

You are hilarious. The way you are always Joe Cool, I would have had no idea you were stressed at all. Honest.

Lisa Christine said...

Thanks again for Lizzy's haircut. It is amazing! She looks so much better :)

Arbon Family said...

i love you!!!! You ARE SO GREAT!!!!