Saturday, January 9, 2010

Dirt Bags

I never got around to posting about my New Years Resolution.

Mostly because I forgot. . . . . however . . . . I did make one.

ONE.
(I wouldn't want to over do it).

What I lack in culinary, communication, musical, knitting . . . .etc. skills, I make up for in speaking my mind. I'm super great at that. . . . . but, I need to stop doing that so often. So this is my ONE resolution. I have been doing so well. With the exception of right now. I just need to get a few things off my chest.

Let's talk for a brief moment about:

dirt bag
n. slang
A filty or vile person
A dirty, grimy, sleazy, or disreputable person


Any of you who know me well, know that this is probably my favorite word. I use it quite often, as I try to brainwash my children into not becoming one. While I'm sure I have several annoying qualities that many others could do with out, I am certain that the world could do without the following behaviors . . . . . from individuals who I consider to be DIRT BAGS.

1. I've said it before, I'll say it again. People who use the bathroom and don't wash their hands are disgusting. Truly. I mean COME ON . . . . . No one wants your bum germs/fecal matter to be touching door knobs, counter tops, writing utensils, food, or them . . . . thats just hepatitis waiting to happen. Not to mention all the other viruses NOT washing hands spreads around . . . oh . . . . and the fact that its just plain disgusting. On occasion I will catch my kids forgetting to do this, however, they are kids. I quickly remind them of the importance of washing hands. But time and time again, I see adults neglecting this simple task. Really people. Its not that much to ask. And if you are guilty of this . . . . . than you are a disgusting dirt bag.

2. On occasion I work at the theater. It's quite a fun place to be. I do all sorts of very important stuff, like serve people popcorn, sell tickets at the box office, and clean up the theaters after movie showings. I also happen to watch movies there. A LOT.
I am severely disappointed when I see people get up from their movie, leave their garbage all over the place, walk out into the lobby, and leave. It happens ALL THE TIME. Any one with common sense would put two and two together and know that they are walking by a GIANT GARBAGE CAN on the way out. How hard is it to take your two hands that you were so fortunate to be born with (those of you who weren't. . . . . I am deeply sorry), pick up your trash, and deposit it in the trash can? I really don't think that is too much to ask. You are also being a horrible example to your children. If you are guilty of this . . . . . than not only are you a dirt bag . . . but you are a LAZY dirt bag.

3. Its not only at the theater. Its everywhere. Why do some think its okay to litter period? Its not. It's sheer laziness. Its really not that hard to pick up after yourself. My kids will see trash on the ground and say . . . . "Mom . . . . someone is a dirt bag." To which I answer, "Yes, someone should have put their trash in the trash can." (Of course we pick up said trash and throw it away). Its really not that hard. I just don't get it.

4. I'm all about freedom. I think that if you want to smoke . . . . than you just go right ahead, if you are over 18 of course, because that's the law. I personally would never want to, as I prefer NOT to smell like an old ashtray with butt breath. I also prefer pink lungs as opposed to black, and white teeth are nice too. Also, all that coughing that goes along with it is really unattractive . . . . .BUT . . . if you want to smoke . . . go right ahead. Thats your choice. Here's the thing though . . . I constantly see people smoking around their children and their animals. Usually it is in cars while driving, with the windows rolled down a slight little crack . . . . . as if that's going to make a huge difference. Its just wrong. Those poor babies have no choice but to inhale those nasty fumes. Just because you are choosing to destroy your health . . . . that gives you no right to destroy the health of your children and pets. Also, pregnant women who smoke. Are you serious? If you are guilty of this . . . . than you are a selfish dirt bag.

5. Its unfortunate that some people just don't understand that spitting is disgusting. There's nothing worse than walking along, minding your own business, and catching a glimpse of someone's phlegm on the ground. Really? Are you serious? And do you know what's even worse? I see people, mostly guys do this all the time. Right in front of ladies. Do they think this is some sort of a turn on? Well, maybe to a fellow dirt bag it is . . . . . but to most, its just plain awful. I kind of want to throw up just thinking about it. So come on . . . . . if you are guilty of this, you are a nasty dirt bag, and please . . . I beg you . . . . STOP. Figure something else out . . . perhaps quit smoking? Then you wouldn't need to hack up your lungs all over the asphalt?

6. Listen . . . nobody is a perfect parent. Even if they think they are. Its just not possible. Everyone loses their patience with their children on occasion. I do. On more occasions than I would like. However, I make it a habit to NOT yell, scream, and swear at them at the top of my lungs in public places (and I try my best not to at home either). Not only does it make those who do this look like idiots, but it teaches said children that this kind of behavior is acceptable, and in turn, they will grow up and treat their children like this. Its a vicious cycle. It also makes the people who have to experience your trashiness wonder what is going on behind closed doors, when no one is watching. So do us all a favor. Get a grip. I guarantee it won't be easy, but just try for once in your life to speak to your children with respect. I bet they will show you some back.

The good news about the above behaviors, is that they are all easy to fix. With minimal effort, this world could be a better place. And while I know that the four people reading this blog are probably not the dirt bags I speak of, I just needed to vent. I realize I am not even close to being perfect, but one thing I do pride myself in is being a contributing member of society. I am also a big fan of cleanliness and am doing my best to teach my children to grow up to be way better than I could ever dream of being.

Now please excuse me while I get back to my only resolution and jump back on that wagon of keeping my mouth shut for another couple of weeks, until I accidentally let something slip. Until then . . . . . I say good day.

8 comments:

Emily Kern said...

I love it! You should enter this into the Urban dictionary. That way it can benefit all mankind! p.s. I will be sure to be on my best behavior while I am in town this weekend.

The Dean Family said...

love it! ok i my neighbor could really use your advise! she smokes and has 4 kids...and i mean SMOKES..she's a chain smoker...and she's constantly YELLING at her kids to the point where i've wanted to tell her to chill..but haven't (of course)....i couldn't agree with you more!! love this post!

Laena said...

You are hilarious! I love your soap box speeches.

Kristen said...

I a trying (VERY HARD) to not be a dirtbag. In honor of you, not the new year.

The Yancey Family said...

I have bad breath today, does that make me a dirt bag? In my defense, I just woke up, and I worked 50 hours in 4 days prior to my sleeping.

The Stars at Night...Deep in the Heart of Texas said...

Okay. First thing, this is funny and true (the best combination of speech in my opinion). And two, that must have taken a lot of effort to write.


Good day, I say good day!

beachwoman360 said...

Well said...especially...well all of it! I feel so guilty that I smoked in the 80's (maybe some
90's) with my kids in the car and I cringe now when I think of it. And when they complained, I yelled at them......my poor daughters--the fact that they are so amazing now proves that children are resilient and can grow up to be spectacular even with a (reformed) dirtbag parent(s)

Still looking for the purse...

Brooke said...

I am SO with you on the movie theater thing (as well as all the others). I worked at and eventually managed the Clearwater Cinemas back in the day and I couldn't believe what SLOBS people can be! To this day, I still pick up all of my trash and drop it in one of those ginormous garbage cans by the door.