Thursday, April 10, 2008

Next Time . . . . . .

I like to analyze, you know, try to figure things out. Lots of times I anazlyze myself. I think of why I am the way I am, what I can "fix" or do better. There sure are a lot of areas that could use some fixin. One of the things I notice about myself is that I sure do complain a lot. I annoy my own self with my complaining. (See, now I am complaining about complaining)! It's true. I seem to forget how fortunate I am, and how blessed I have been.

So my goal is to quit complaining so much. I think if I make it public, then I will really have to follow thru. So, here it goes . . . . .

Next time I complain about being pregnant and not going into labor soon enough, I will remember my dear sister, being life flighted to Sacred Heart Medical Center, having an emergency C-Section at 32 weeks because of a placental abruption, losing so much blood that she had to have numerous blood transfusions.

Next time I complain about how tired I am because of lack of sleep at night, I will remember this same sister, whose baby was in the NICU for over 5 weeks, and her constant visits to the hospital to see her baby, who she could only hold for short periods of time. Who would have LOVED to have been as tired as I am with a healthy baby born under normal circumstances, but NEVER complaining and always having a good attitude.

Next time I complain about my sweet little HEALTHY baby crying all the time, I will remember my dear friend who wants a baby so bad, who has had numerous miscarriages, but is so strong, she just keeps trying, all the while, loving my babies, and doing all she can to help me. I will also remember some friends whose baby was born with numerous problems, but their attitude is just amazing. They are so opptimistic. I am so inspired by them.

Next time I complain about having three kids, and "HOW HARD" it is to get things done or go places, I will remember another sister who has six, and does such a great job. She is always loading all of those kids up and taking them with her everywhere. Even on long road trips. I always tell her she is crazy for doing that, but really I think she is so GREAT and so BRAVE!

Next time I complain about my husband being gone all the time, working so much, I will remember another sister. Her husband's job is to be a studly Marine, and has been deployed to Iraq, not once, but twice, being in constant danger, once running over a roadside bomb, and breaking his hand, and many times losing his friends. She is basically raising three kids on her own, working full time, and still finding time to constantly serve others.

Next time I complain about little things that annoy me about my WONDERFUL husband (sorry Flamers), I will remember my sister, (the same one who had the premature baby) whose husband was rushed to Sacred Heart from Pullman (yes, only a mere two weeks after her baby was released, can they just catch a break here or what?), for a serious heart condition he didn't even know he had. His life could have been cut very short. Luckily it wasn't. I can't even imagine going thru life without my Flamers.

Next time I complain about being a little on the chunky side, I will remember how much my husband loves my saggy bum, and dimpled thighs, and for some reason can't keep his hands of my lucious body. I will also remember another sister of mine who is just gorgoeus and so fun, who is getting divorced because of an abusive husband, who treated her like garbage. (I can't wait for our D-Day Celebration)! How lucky I am to be married to a man who has NEVER called me a bad name, or made fun of my body, or anything else about my appearance.

This list could go on and on. I complain way too much. It's time to turn over a new leaf.
Seriously, I have got it SO good.

17 comments:

Emily Kern said...

I LOVE MY SISTER(S)!!! You are so great. You make me realize how lucky I am, too!

Nancie said...

Flib- what a awesome post. Your fam sure has had some trials, but you guys are so strong because of it. I love the Reil fam. I wish I could be part of it...sometimes.

MSB said...

Libbie... this is an awesome post. There are days when I just think my life is so bad... but, in reality, I have it SO GOOD!

Lisa Christine said...

What a great post. You totally summed up the secret to being content and happy in life: realizing that there is always something much worse and to appreciate life the way we have it. One of my favorite hymns is "Count your many blessings". It was one of the hymns I played on the piano everyday when I was pregant with Elisabeth. The words in that song brought such hope, peace, and inspiration. And it definately reminded me of all that I have been blessed with.
And this saggy bum business.....please! You're gorgeous and I would love to have a body like yours!

Lesley said...

Thanks for the reminder. I have been throwing myself a pity party lately because I am a little uncomfortable and ready to be done with pregnancy but I just need to be grateful and count my many blessings!!! Great post!

Dana and ohana said...

Well didn't you just slap me into place. THANK YOU. I've been in a total "poor me" mode lately and I'm tired of it. Thanks for being so great!

The Yancey Family said...

I love this post! I have been trying so hard to not feel sorry for myself lately! It is so easy to see how blessed you are if you just look around and see what other people are going through. I have seen so many sad situations over the last couple of months, I am so grateful that I got to bring my baby and my husband home with me! Thanks for everything you have done for us!

The Stars at Night...Deep in the Heart of Texas said...

Good post! Very good and uplifting, thanks for the perspective :)

The Bloxham Bunch said...

Libbie-
I just have to tell you....you're awesome. Your such a fun, funny, sweet person! Just thought I'd tell you that :)

My Three Sons said...

Libbie....we all love you so much the way you are. You're the best and your complaining doesn't bother us! It only bothers you :) But you're right, counting our blessings is the key to happiness. Not looking at what we don't have but always focusing on what we do have is essential. Vern and I almost losing Joseph so many times made is SO GRATEFUL for him. So when the terrible twosome are reaking chaos I remind myself just how very blessed I am that they are here with me and that I can clean my house later. Thanks for the awesome post. And by the way, I missed you too while I was gone. My only consolation upon coming home from vacation was knowing my wonderful friends would be here to greet me :)

Kristen said...

Next time you talk about a saggy bum, I'll beat you over the top of the head with a golf club.

That might be more effective. :)

Lydia said...

Libbie, I might be playing the devil's advocate, but your so-called complaining is one thing I love about you.

Emily said...

A great reminder! What a thoughtful post!

Lydia said...

I just read my comment and it sounded so awful after everyone's kind and uplifting words. What I meant was that I have never known you to complain too much. You are just honest on how you're feeling at the moment, which was always refreshing to me.

I do know what you're saying though. There are times when I complain about Jeff's residency and the pressures of being a mom when suddenly I remember my pleading prayers of desperately wanting children and also of getting Jeff in to med school. It's easy to overlook our blessings so your blog is a good reminder to stay positive.

Hopefully, that sounds better. I'm never good at these comments!

I love ya, Libbie, and I think you're amazing!

laura said...

I think I will print this out and paste it on my mirror. I really am amazed at what other people go through and how strong they are. And I struggle with the simplest of problems. Thanks for the reminder.
By the way: I also LOVE your refreshing honesty.

Amy said...

What a good way to count your blessings! I think we all need to do this a little more. Your blessing pictures are so cute. I especially like the one of the dads' nursing!
It is so nice to know a few people in the area where my brother will be serving his mission. It makes me feel like he'll be in good hands.

Kim said...

Love you Libbie!! I've always been one to dump on myself. I used to stack up all the mistakes I made in a day and hardly ever counted the good I do. Its helped so much to count my blessings and look for the good in my life. This post made me cry. Thanks for sharing it.